[Milton-L] re Fallon & man falls deceived

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Thu Jul 20 18:34:55 EDT 2006

To support what Steve says about Satan's angels. Abdiel directly
counters Satan's arguments, supports God, and finds his way
back to God's camp.  Those who have followed Satan thus far
could have gone with Abdiel.  But they don't.  They choose
to stay with Satan, thus confirming themselves on his side.

Stella Revard

P.S. I also agree with Steve about "ordain." Having described
the benefits of union with the Son as their head ("United as
one individual soul / for ever happy" God cautions against
breaking union, which will result, he points out, in the loss of "blessed
vision and the fall into utter darkness." It is one of Milton's
most remarkable paradoxes that the very decree that prompts
Satan to revolt might have been, had Satan understood it
rightly and not been blinded by his own pride and envy, the
very means to stay that revolt.  By ignoring God's cautionary
advice Satan ordains his own fall.