[Milton-L] "Ontological superiority"

Alberto Cacicedo alc at mac.com
Thu Jul 20 01:21:58 EDT 2006

The turn of this discussion reminds me of this poem of Dickinson's:

I know that He exists.
Somewhere—in Silence—
He has hid his rare life
 From our gross eyes.

'Tis an instant's play.
'Tis a fond Ambush—
Just to make Bliss
Earn her own surprise!

But—should the play
Prove piercing earnest—
Should the glee—glaze—
In Death's—stiff—stare—

Would not the fun
Look too expensive!
Would not the jest—
Have crawled too far!

I acknowledge that Milton's "He" is not so silent.

 From my air conditioned heaven,
Al Cacicedo