[Milton-L] 'Ontological superiority'

mmharris at mail.utexas.edu mmharris at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 19 21:42:57 EDT 2006

> > > Richard Strier wrote:
> > >  Hell is a disgusting notion -- morally
> > >
> > > But Milton, evidently, did not write that book.
> > >
> > > JD Fleming
> > >

> > Is not Paradise Regained a part of Milton's theodicy?
> >

> > Mitch Harris
> >

> sure; but how does it fulfill Professor Strier's conditions?

It seems to me that the Son is working for the "eventual salvation of all
intelligent creatures" in PR. In order to make this claim I guess I stand in
line with Dr. Fallon's earlier suggestion that much of God's claims regarding
Satan and the fallen in PL is descriptive rather than prescriptive. And, as a
side note, I'm not disgusted by the concept of Hell. The "hardening of hearts,"
as I see it, presents a much larger obstacle in the way of Milton's theodicy
than Hell.

Best,
   Mitch Harris

Visiting Instructor