[Milton-L] 'Ontological superiority'

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Wed Jul 19 17:47:01 EDT 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:53:13 -0500 milton-l at lists.richmond.edu wrote:
> I would modify Richard Strier's claim in the last paragraph of his post.
> (I agree with all that precedes.) It is not just hell that is
> disgusting: immortality of any variety is offensive. Assume a god who
> arranges "for the eventual salvation of all intelligent creatures." Why
> create at all then? Human activity, covering a few decades for each
> human, becomes pretty trivialized measured against a subsequent
> immortality.	I suspect that what seems to me the absurdity of testing
> for the sake of testing (choice for choice's sake), upon which Milton
> puts so much emphasis, flows in part from Milton's nagging concern over
> this trivializing of human action by immortality.
>
> Carrol

With all respect, I must say that the closing suspicion seems to me one of
the most erroneous and implausible comments I have ever read about Milton.

Quite apart from whether it is ethically coherent. Which I also find
doubtful.

With respect. J

James Dougal Fleming, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English,