[Milton-L] Re: Richard Strier on eventual salvation.

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 19 19:19:56 EDT 2006

Alan Rudrum wrote:

> Richard Strier wrote:
> > a truly benign omnipotent Being would work for the eventual salvation
> > of all intelligent creatures.
>
> Sounds like speciesism to me; though as I recall Milton did say "they
> reason not contemptibly" or s.th. similar.
>
> And what about human beings with IQ of less than 100?   There seem to be
> a lot of them about as I drive around Vancouver.

Judgments of intelligence of individuals should be made within the
framework provided by the immortal sentence, "Men make their own
history, but they do not make it just as they please; they do not make
it under circumstances chosen by themselves, but under circumstances
directly encountered, given and transmitted by the past." Within that
context there are very few if any humans who (however stupid or wrong
one might think their _conclusions_) I would judge to be, as a person,
unintelligent.

And surely our neandertal cousins must be remembered, even though they
never developed language. See the recent review in the NYRB of _The
Singing Neandertals_.

Carrol