[Milton-L] "Ontological superiority"

Steve Fallon sfallon at nd.edu
Wed Jul 19 15:55:59 EDT 2006

More often that not I agree with Richard Strier, but I have to
disagree here.  Not that ontological superiority in this sense
entails moral superiority--Richard is right to call that move into
question.  But one must sort through a lot before answering the
questions of whether the Father loves his enemies, forgives them,
delights in their torture.

One must ask, e.g., in what sense Satan is an enemy of God.  In one
sense he clearly is an enemy, and he glories in the name.  But Milton
attempts to make clear Satan's hostile actions 1) are possible only
because God permits them and 2) are turned to good.  Satan tries to
be an enemy or adversary, but his actions recoil, and he can't hurt
God.  Forgiveness, at least as we experience it, involves pardoning
one who has hurt us; Satan can't hurt God.  I realize that the Father
in Book 3 says that devils will not find forgiveness, suggesting that
he is withholding it, but I take this not as a sign of implacable
vindictiveness but of clear-eyed recognition that Satan will not
repent (the inability to repent is on display in the speech to the
sun in Book 4--an interesting and puzzling case in itself, for the
motions evident in this speech, before Satan rejects the possibility
of repentance, fall in Christian theology under the heading of
motions made possible by prevenient grace).  In years of reading the
poem, God's statement (man therefore shall find grace, the other
none") has struck me increasingly as descriptive rather than
prescriptive

Satan becomes an instrument in the temptation of Adam and Eve, which
is to say he fulfills a crucial role in the testing of Adam and Eve
as moral beings (without a real test, Adam and Eve would not be
treated as adults but as children).  Had Adam and Eve stood, the
tendency to see God's employment of Satan as malign and morally
suspect would be lessened (Calvin, not Milton, viewed the fall as
ordained).

Does God delight in the torture of the devils?  Perhaps, though I
think it more accurate to say that Milton delights in the
construction of a hell worse than which none could be imagined.
Confusion, physical pain, hunger, sexual frustration, jealousy, loss
of identity, etc., etc.  Even the hope denied to Dante's damned
becomes an instrument of torture, as devils are haled between hope
and despair in an unending cycle.  I see here some typical epic
one-upmanship as work: I'll write the greatest epic; I'll write the
worst hell.

If one sees the Father as reacting in pique and in angry retaliation,
Richard's view makes more sense.  But Milton tries at least to defuse
that reading.  Satan's various claims to have injured God, shook his
throne, made him doubt his empire, etc., are meticulously falsified
in the poem.

One other thing to keep in mind is Milton's high-wire act with the
dialogue of Father and Son in Book 3.  The Father is ineffable, and
the Son is the visible and audible expression of the Father.
Nevertheless, the Father and Son converse audibly in the poem.  What
can one make of this?  There is either a contradiction or a
ventriloquism here.  To the extent that the Father is audible, he is
given voice by the Son.  In one sense the Son speaks both the
Father's lines and himself.  Or one could turn this around: both the
Son's insistence on mercy and the Father's on justice originate in
the Father (this at least is what the Father claims, "All hast thou
spoken as my thoughts are").  The Father looks better if we take
seriously the idea that the Son expresses the Father (though I'd
qualify this by stressing that at times, particularly in the free and
meritorious choice to die for human beings, the Son speaks for
himself).

If the voice of mercy expresses the Father (I can see that this "if"
is arguable), then arguments for the Father as morally dubious are
weakened.  I've not forgotten that the precipitating issue is the
Father's treatment of Satan.  Satan, however, as a free creature who
has made (however mysteriously) a morally significant choice, is
living out the consequences of that choice.  One could argue that
allowing a creature to experience the results of free choice is an
expression of respect for the creature.  Universal forgiveness is a
more comfortable doctrine, but it lowers the stakes of free will.  To
have free will but to be free of consequences in exercising it is in
a sense to be treated as a child.

Steve Fallon