[Milton-L] Re: The War in Heaven

Alan Rudrum rudrum at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 16 10:49:13 EDT 2006

jfleming at sfu.ca wrote:

> But the exceptionality of God's absolutism has nothing to do with "different
> standards." It has to do with submission to God as the exception that proves
> the rule of resistance to tyranny.

Of course Christianity, as projected in PL, is a totalitarian religion,
as I suppose any monotheistic religion is.  Presumably that is why it
has in fairly recent history been persecuted in totalitarian states:
because ultimate submission to anything less than God's will is
submission to an idol - the word used by republican survivors of the
Restoration to describe the post-Restoration regime..."drunk with
idolatry, drunk with wine."

Alan Rudrum
Professor Emeritus
Department of English