[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Richard Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 12 16:16:45 EDT 2006

Re Gillum's remarks:  Again, the point is being begged:  "God, being
incalculably "better" than angels or humans, justly rules over his
creatures."

But whether God, as presented in the poem, is in fact morally better
than Satan -- rather than merely m,ore powerful -- is exactly the
question that Shelley raises.  So merely to assert that God is so is
to contribute nothing.

I agree that Milton is, in ethics, an Aristotelian.  That's the basis
of my "Milton against Humility" essay in the McEachern-Shuger
collection of essays.