[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

bberry at mail1.vcu.edu bberry at mail1.vcu.edu
Wed Jul 12 16:29:01 EDT 2006

Some time back in the middle ages, I thought Joe Summers made a fine
point about the center of the poem--between bbok 6 and 7.  More, I had
noticed how almost all forms of to permit" were predicated to (at
least once distantly) to the deity--which is why I referred to him as
a permissive parent.  The talk of the chariot struck me as a feature
of the light show which accompanies the Son's approach to the
faithful.  His presence sets the vastly disrupted heaven in booking
smiles.  As for talk of shock and awe, 1)he checked his thunder in mid
volley" and 2) it would seem that, while wrath pursued Satan and pals
down, initially they jumped.  Peering into the abyss the mostrous
sight struck them with horror backward, but far worse urged them
behind behind.  headlong themselves they threw down. . . ."

Not surprising, a person who had lived through the killing of the wars
seems to me to take pacifist jabs at militarism.

Boyd Berry