[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Wed Jul 12 15:01:45 EDT 2006

I have been running around with theory or operation plan for 20
years. Now that we crossed the Mason-Dixon line and crossed in Iraq
and WWI, is it possible to approach the war in Heaven through the
lens of new historicism and drop an overlay of Naseby on the text. I
have been fascinated by this battle since high school. I went to the
monument after World War I trenches at the Somme last year, but I had
Haig on the brain rather than Milton. How much of the present English
Civil War would Milton have in his mind through dispatches? Certainly
the sonnet speaks to some of those angles. Maybe even the sonnets to
Cromwell, Fairfax are the groundwork for the epic convention. I have
studied the Book of Revelation at Sewanee so I see part of the
biblical framework, but there is another text on the field that maybe
the blind poet is seeing from memory as well as scholarship. I have
asked this question of some of you years ago, but I kept going back
to that "ground" like Blunden's reference to Hamlet in his into to
Undertones about WWI.
Since I will teaching the Iliad once again, I will tweak my course
now that I know my ground with Greek plays and history to play off
Book 6. Thanks for the discussion. Kemmer