[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Wed Jul 12 09:27:47 EDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:14:54 -0500 milton-l at lists.richmond.edu wrote:
> Some remarks from the Empson camp:
>
> 1) It's hardly useful to be informed that to rebel against a tyrant
> is good, whereas to rebel against God is bad-- when the whole issue
> is whether God (as represented in the poem and perhaps in the bible)
> is a tyrant.	(Note:	Tyrants think their will is law; tyrants are
> capricious; tyrants enjoy exercising their power.)

I would tend to turn this around and say that, since the poem (and M's prose
works) make the rule-proving exception of God so exceptionally clear, it is
hardly useful to complain about it. The question is not whether God is a
tyrant, but whether this is the question. Satan constantly says "yes."
JD Fleming