[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Peter C. Herman herman2 at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Jul 11 20:13:24 EDT 2006

At 06:30 PM 7/11/2006, you wrote:
>I don't think Adam invented fire.  He discovered a law in nature which is
>created by God.  So it's not technology.

While Prof. Khoddam is right to note that Adam didn't invent fire, he does
something other than discover a law in nature. Rather, he discovers two
artificial means of creating fire. The first is using a kind of magnifying
glass ("how we his gather'd beams / Reflected, may with matter sere
foment"); the second is friction ("Or by collision of two bodies grinde /
The Air attrite to Fire"). So I would say that this is technology.

pch