[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Tue Jul 11 21:30:58 EDT 2006

I don't think Adam invented fire.  He discovered a law in nature which is
created by God.  So it's not technology. Milton would find artifice,
extravagant and man-made ornamental art, also demonic.  Eve's tending to the
flowers is not art in this sense.  Note Satan's throne in Bk. II. A splendid
example of technology which reminds me of Satan's invention of the cannon in
war in heaven are the orcs in Lord of the Rings, who melt and smelt metals
to make their horrible war machinery.  This is technology, but the swords,
shields, and spears of Aragorn and company are not.  I suppose motive
determines what is technology:  Is the purpose to exploit nature, play God
with its materials for business enterprises and Faustus-like projects, or is
the purpose to work with God-given materials to address primary needs (i.
clothes, food, protection from natural disasters)?
Best,
Salwa Khoddam