[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 11 17:45:29 EDT 2006

gilliaca at jmu.edu wrote:

> >Of course the Chariot is
> >> technological. It has wheels!
> >>
> >> Carrol
> >
> >An analogous argument: "of course primitive societies are
> capitalistic. They
> >have money!" True?
>
> Um ... Carrol, were you thinking 'machine?'  A lever is a
> simple machine and so is an inclined plane - is a wheel? This
> is a genuine question from the depths of my ignorance, not a
> smart-alec response.

I was thinking "technology" rather than "technological." "Machine" would
also do, and yes, a wheel is a machine, a more sophisticated development
of the inclined plane (if I remember my 9th grade science from 1943. In
current popular speech "technology" is apt to be a synonym for "high
technology," but that is misleading. The ancient potters wheel is moving
into what ought really to be called high technology, since it enabled a
completely different relationship between worker and product as well as
of the social relations within which the production was embedded.

And the analogy doesn't hold, because wheels _are_ machines, not just
one attribute of machines, as money is just one attribute of capitalism.

Incidentally, I don't think Harold Skulsky's argument is actually
incompatible with mine or Richard Stier's. But that is a longer
argument.

Carrol