[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 16:41:41 EDT 2006

I think even simplistic mappings of contemporary events onto
apocryphal texts deserve serious attention.  I think that's what these
texts were meant to accomplish: to provide an interpretive framework
for mundane history, to teach us how to read it.  It's not hard to
read Roman history in the book of Revelation, or the English Civil war
in Paradise Lost. Once we confront the facts of history we need some
way to lend them meaning, hence, apocryphal literature.  This approach
can proceed from theist or atheist presuppositions.  The difference
between a fundamentalist pastor doing this with the Iraqi war and
Carrol Cox doing this with the text of Paradise Lost is a difference
in politics and assumptions, but not in approach (a comparison I'm
sure Prof. Cox will love me for making...).