[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Tue Jul 11 12:32:26 EDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:52:32 -0400 milton-l at lists.richmond.edu wrote:
> "Esoteric readings are always possible, because the evidence for them,
> more-or-less by definition, is absent or secretive. But ought we not,
> for
> that reason, be rather cautious with our esoteric readings?"
>
> When there's no evidence for a reading, or the evidence was withheld
> from the intended audience, the reading is an appropriation and not a
> reading. From where I sit, the appropriate level of caution for esoteric
> readings is abstention.

With this I entirely agree; but it contradicts, in my view, the reading you
offered, as well as your explanation below. A "cue," which may or may not be
"meant" -- is this not the very definition of an esoteric reading?

And in any case, what are the "learned but well-known cues" in this case?
The word "chariot"? Is that not just a word? Regards, JDF