[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Jul 11 12:37:22 EDT 2006

Richard Strier wrote:
>  Amazing how "Miltonists" will not accept what is clear in the text
>of PL: the resolution of the war in heaven is a paean to Power.
>Milton loves seeing those rebels crushed-- however odd this may
>seem, given his politics.  Maybe think of them as if they were Irish?

I agree that Milton celebrates the crushing of the rebels; I think
one would have to be tone-deaf to think otherwise. Milton thought
rebellion against good authority (God) was a bad thing, whereas
rebellion against bad authority (Stuart absolutism) was a good thing.
The notion that resistance to all authority is automatically good is
a recent and rather peculiar notion. Empson of course questions
whether God's authority is good.

Michael Gillum