[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Jul 11 12:02:57 EDT 2006

Carrol Cox wrote: "Of course the Chariot is
technological. It has wheels!"

What we and the angels see is a blur of fire, light, "sparkle," and
cherubic wings. Given the method of book 6, Milton had to provide
imagery, but I think the imagery downplays the Chariot's thinginess
in order to give the impression of theophany, a revelation of an
aspect of God that hasn't been seen before.  The Chariot moves
"undrawn" because it it "instinct with spirit." I take "a work
divinely wrought" as referring to the Son's breastplate.

Michael Gillum