[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sun Jul 9 22:02:45 EDT 2006

I have a question. Empson and others say the scope of the rebellion
suggests something was wrong with government in Heaven. Of course,
Milton was in scriptural fetters--"a third part" fell according to
Revelation. But normally he tries to rationalize or explain
scriptural points that might seem puzzling or  unreasonable. How does
he motivate the fall of the angels other than Satan (who has been
promoted-over)? My thought is that  the military organization plays a
big role.  In human history, soldiers follow their generals in coups
d'etat. What else is involved? Is there anything to Empson's claim
that discontent has been brewing? (So far, I don't see that.) Also,
do the other angels get Satan's irony about preparing a "fit
reception" for the Son when he follows them to the North?

Michael Gillum