[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sun Jul 9 15:05:42 EDT 2006

Hello Mike,

And hello all, this is a maiden post, and I'm not a proper Miltonist.

I think Abraham Stoll in a recent article  in Milton Studies (2005 pp
179-202) does a good job of explaining why the treatment is
necessarily uneven-- "a disjunction between the war narrative's need
for important action, and the poem's doctrinal need for an absolutely
transcendent--omnisicent and omnipotent--God."  That is, God could
vaporize the rebels in an instant, but that doesn't make much of a
story. So Milton imagines God let the war go on for two full days in
order to give the good angels a chance to prove their loyalty, and
then lets the Son end it to prove he deserves the kingship of heaven.
Otherwise the fighting is pointless, since the angels can't seriously
hurt each other. Some think Milton blew off the war narrative as a
semi-burlesque-- see Arnold Stein's book or his 1951 article in ELH.

Miichael Gillum