[Milton-L] The War in Heaven

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Sun Jul 9 14:05:07 EDT 2006

What I'm wondering is why does it have to be an either/or interpretation?  In literary responses usually there are several relevant interpretations.  So I would say it is more like both/and.  Yes, the war in heaven is an epic convention  that goes back to Homer and Virgil, but it is also a poweful emblem in Milton, and many visual artists in the Western Tradition, of the conquest of the angel Michael over the dragon (Satan) based on Rev. 12. 7-9.
Best,
Salwa Khoddam