[Milton-L] Good night, sweet prince

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 14 17:25:01 EST 2006

I bear sad tidings.

On Saturday, the community of Milton scholars was bereaved of one of its most affable members, a scholar not only willing to share the fruits of his long labor in the vineyard, but quick to offer avuncular encouragement and guidance to least of us, and warm and witty and funny to the end.

William Bridges Hunter, Jr., A.B., Princeton University; M.A., Ph.D., Vanderbilt University,  Southern gentleman and citizen of the world in the best sense of those terms, as well as editor of the original _Milton Encyclopedia_ on which so many of us cut our teeth, editor-by-default of V.7 of the YP,  editor of _The Complete Poetry of Ben Jonson_, and author of _Visitation Unimplor'd_ (along with scholarly essays too numerous to mention), visionary, iconoclast, friend, and teacher left this world a little colder on Saturday, 11 February 2006.

He will be deeply mourned, and sadly missed, especially by those of us who had the good fortune to bask in his light.

The funeral arrangements are undetermined at this writing, but his widow, Margaret, resides at 925 New Garden Road, Greensboro, NC 27410, and would, I'm sure, be comforted by our expressions of respect and condolence.

With sad heart,

Carol Barton