[Milton-L] language question

Jack Lynch jlynch at andromeda.rutgers.edu
Fri Feb 10 20:37:13 EST 2006

Anita Sherman writes:

    Please help me remember what (I think) I once knew.  What is
    it about the evolution of the English language that results
    in certain words--e.g. "cleave"--having antithetical
    meanings?  Is there a term of art for these kinds of words?

Others have already commented on the process by which _cleave_
came to have apparently opposite meanings.  Some arise from two
roots; some have senses that separate and then end up being
contrary -- _sanction_, for instance, which can mean to permit or
to punish.

Other examples, more or less satisfying, are "clip" (to attach or
to separate), "screen" (to hide or to display), "cork" (to remove
a cork or to insert a cork), "fast" (moving quickly or not moving
at all), "quite" (slightly or completely), "to dust" (to remove
dust or to add dust) and "oversight" (careful inspection or
careless inattention).  If you expand your boundaries, you can
admit things like "bad" (which in some slang usages can mean
good) and "citation" (which can recognize either a good or a bad
deed), as well as words like "rent" (which can be applied to
either party in the transaction), though these are kinda iffy.

I don't know whether linguists have a serious term, but
logophiles sometimes call such words "contronyms" (sometimes
spelled "contranyms") or "Janus words."  I've also seen
"auto-antonym" and "antagonym."  I don't think any of these
terms, though, will be familiar enough to most readers that you
could use them without an explanation.