[Milton-L] language question

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Fri Feb 10 13:59:24 EST 2006

let it be noted that the homonymic explanation below, whether or not
correct, is diametrically opposed to the "primal word" one.

there is an essay on metaphor (Harold Skulsky, "Metaphorese," in Garfield
and Kiteley, eds., _Meaning and Truth_), in which the author claims that
"in" is sometimes homonymic. This so that its occurrence in the phrase "in
the phrase" or "in the mind" (or "in the sense," or whatever) will not have
to be considered  figurative. One wonders whether the epistemological
commitments involved in such an assertion could reliably be sequestered from
the etymologies that might be offered to support it.

in any case, even if words like "cleave" and "let" and "doubt" could all be
shown to be the result of homonymic convergence, the fact would remain that
language seems strangely comfortable with such semiotic identities. thus the
identity-phenomenon would remain the fact to be considered. JDF