[Milton-L] bastard truth

Danielle A. St. Hilaire das89 at cornell.edu
Sat Feb 4 10:15:05 EST 2006

Dear Greg,

The quotation is from the beginning of Doctrine and Discipline of
Divorce, in the note to the parliament.  The full quotation (I'm copying
from the Milton Reading Room--
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/ddd/parliament/index.shtml):

For Truth is as impossible to be soil'd by any outward touch, as the Sun
beam. Though this ill hap wait on her nativity, that shee never comes
into the world, but like a Bastard, to the ignominy of him that brought
her forth: till Time the Midwife rather then the mother of Truth, have
washt and salted the Infant, declar'd her legitimat, and Churcht the
father of his young Minerva, from the needlesse causes of his purgation.

--Danielle.