[Milton-L] bastard truth

Steve Fallon fallon.1 at nd.edu
Sat Feb 4 07:14:07 EST 2006

Greg,

The passage is from the letter to Parliament in the
second edition of "The Doctrine and Discipline of
Divorce."

"For truth is as impossible to be soiled by any
outward touch as the sunbeam. Though this ill hap wait
on her nativity, that she never comes into the world
but like a bastard to the ignominy of him that brought
her forth: till time, the midwife rather than the
mother of truth, have washed and salted the infant,
declared her legitimate, and churched the father of
his young Minerva, from the needless causes of his
purgation."

(Quoted from a forthcoming Random House edition of
Milton's complete poetry and selected prose)

Steve Fallon

"Truth never comes into the world but like a bastard,
to the ignominy of him that brought her birth."

I have recently encountered this sentence attibuted to
Milton in an online political argument (foolish to
involve myself in such wasteful enterprises). I feel
that I should know from what work this sentence is
pulled, but I do not nor have I found it by searching
the net. I thought my friends here could inform me in
quick order.