[Milton-L]: Uriel Gliding Down a Sunbeam

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 14:00:43 EST 2006

Has Milton's invocational language, for instance "there plant eyes... that I may see and tell of things invisible," ever been identified as gnostic?  Is he asking the holy light, the "coeternal beam," to beget here, to "plant" (like the Spirit brooded on the vast abyss, making it pregnant), a new creature, a poet with super-mortal powers of gnosis?

-Carl