[Milton-L] RE: query

Judith Herz jherz at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed Aug 30 19:30:12 EDT 2006

Many thanks to all who responded to my question about
(pre)reading PL.  I was struck by Mario's comment suggesting that it would lessen the presence of Cliff notes and Carroll's point that it would encourage it.  What I think I will do is instead of calling it a quiz, is call it an in-class writing assignment and give them a passage and a question that will require some evidence of actually having read at various junctures in the poem.  I'll keep bringing up the ongoing reading in the first 4 weeks, which might encourage the process.  I was glad to be reminded of the McCutcheon essay; I had in fact forgotten having read it.
I like that music comparison, Michael. I've often thought of the instructor as a kind of conductor.
Again, many thanks
Judith

Judith Scherer Herz
Professor