[Milton-L] query

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Aug 29 12:15:18 EDT 2006

many of my students have commented on happy
>   they were that we started off with short poems
>   (appetizers) before feasting on Paradise Lost

That's my method - part of what we look at is developing
themes, imagery, etc - and also getting students to see genre
considerations, and easing them into reading language that is
less familiar to them, gettign used to using the footnotes
etc., which they tell me they usually ignore [say, in the
Norton Anthology]. Then when we get to PL, they should have
reading and analytical skills ready to roll.
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant