[Milton-L] query

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Mon Aug 28 22:43:58 EDT 2006

Judith--I have addressed this problem, successfully I believe, by starting the course with Paradise Lost, which is, after all, the main reason that people read Milton, and then going back to the other material after the students understand what will be important about it, what is interesting in it, what issues he's working out, etc.  I spend the first day of class teasing out of the group the Genesis story and then checking our collective memory against the actual text.  That insures that everyone knows the story Milton is working with, which is what he would have assumed of his audience.

I have been doing this for at least ten years.  I am teaching sophomores through seniors, many non-majors, and an occasional eager first-year student (mine is a spring semester course).  If you aren't too far in your planning, you might consider this approach.  My semester, alas, began this morning.--Margie