[Milton-L] query

Mitchell M. Harris mmharris at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 28 18:13:57 EDT 2006

Hi Judith-

Great question and great idea. I find the reading of PL beforehand to
be not the least excessive. However, the quiz appears a bit demanding,
especially considering that they will not have been able to "talk it
through" with you. Since they're required to keep a Reading Notebook,
however, could you use it to measure their independent reading of PL?
Some of your study questions could prompt them to write about certain
aspects of the poem that you want them to consider before reading it
formally in class. The notebooks then could be turned in to you the
weekend before your journey through PL begins, giving you a clear sense
of what they know and don't know and what interests them.

Just a thought. I now defer to others.

Regards,
      Mitch Harris

Mitchell M. Harris
Visiting Instructor
Department of English
Gustavus Adolphus College
mharris at gustavus.edu

"Alack, when once our grace we have forgot,
  Nothing goes right . . ."
				   - William Shakespeare