[Milton-L] query

Judith Herz jherz at alcor.concordia.ca
Mon Aug 28 17:56:53 EDT 2006

Pedagogical question:
I'm thinking of trying something I've never done before in a semester Milton course.  On the assumption that it's nearly impossible to read Paradise Lost without already having read it, I thought I'd require that they read quickly through the poem during the first month while we're doing the early poetry and some prose and then a day or so after we actually begin PL, I would give a quiz worth 15% to assure that they in fact have done this.
I would very much like to hear any comments,  pros and/or cons about this possibility.
This, by the way, would be in addition to the course requirements of a weekly Reading Notebook (5-600 words, collected 3 times over the semester) in which they respond to study questions, class discussions, etc., and a term paper and final exam.

thanks in advance
Judith

Judith Scherer Herz
Professor