[Milton-L] elusive

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Mon Aug 28 17:00:26 EDT 2006

Thanks, Carrol: you are quite right to question my question.  It was, umm,
vague and ill formulated. Apologies to all. And yes,  "brighter" and
"richer" are impossible queries, aren't they, even in an impressionistic
context...

But anyway, I'm extremely grateful for the responses which have come forth.
In part, my question is more a personal one and less a scholarly one; as a
devotee of English poetry generally I'm keen to know what phrases or moments
for my fellow readers provoke goosebumps, so to speak, from time to time.
For PL in particular I have a dual interest: PL is a _loud_ poem, brilliant
in all the ways you mention (from gorgeous images to syntactical triumphs
and everything you have listed in between, all heaped up on top of each
other), and I'm keen to know if the moments in PL which to some readers have
proven especially telling moments are also specifically quiet or "dark"
moments (hushed, brooding, wandering, nocturnal, "soft"), and I half expect
that these same moments will show up in the studies recently mentioned (by
Profs. Strier, Forsyth, Geraghty, Rudrum), concerning mystical intentions in
PL.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

-Carl
p.s. My spell-checker wants an initial cap on "goosebumps;" is that correct?
I'm the worst of spellers...