[Milton-L] elusive?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 27 13:59:28 EDT 2006

I'm having more and more trouble understanding what Carl means by
"brighter and richer (and quieter?) things." The responders so far seem
to be taking it as an invitation to add to Arnold's list of touchstones.
Perhaps Carl should try to explain a bit more clearly what he is looking
for. Does "things" in this context mean passages, images, events,
concepts, particular cadences, dramatic exchange, theological allusion,
interesting line breaks, syntactical triumphs . . .?

And what does the metaphor of sound volume mean in reference to an epic
poem? And I don't even know how to formulate a question in respect to
"brighter" or "richer."

Carrol