[Milton-L] Wickenheiser Collection

Patrick Scott SCOTTP at gwm.sc.edu
Sun Aug 27 10:45:42 EDT 2006

1. the 6000 + vols were moved to South Caroliona only in July.  Cataloging has started, and to date over 300 titles (approx 500 vols) have already been cataloged, starting at the two ends of the collection--17th century editions, and modern scholarship. These records are in our online catalogue, available at
http://libcat.csd.sc.edu
This catalogue is best used for locating specific titles or editions, but may also be used to browse cataloged items from the Wickenheiser Collection only--for which enter an *author* search for
Robert J. Wickenheiser Collection of John Milton
(with words in in that order).  It is expected that it will take about 18 months to complete this cataloging, if the process is not interrupted too much by the catalogers' other responsibilities.  Cataloged items should also show up as held by USC in worldcat/OCLC but will not have any of the copy-specific information there that our own on-line catalogue adds for items in Special Collections.

2. Dr. Wickenheiser has completed work on a book about the collection, including detailed entries on individual items.  When published, this will provide the best browsable guide to the collection, as well as information about individual items.

3. As part of the acquisition process, Dr. Wickenheiser has provided us with a copy of his short-title listing for the full collection, which can be made available to visiting researchers here who wish to check on possible holdings among the items still to be cataloged.

Questions abouty the collection or items in it may be directed to me, as below, or to Elizabeth Sudduth, Head of Special Collections Processing and Services (esudduth at gwm.sc.edu).

The introductory exhibition from Sept 21-Nov 1 means that approx 80 items, including some of the rarest, will not be accessible for research use till early November, though we welcome Milton research visitors from September on.

Patrick Scott
Director of Special Collections,
Thomas Cooper Library,
& Professor of English,