[Milton-L] elusive?

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Sat Aug 26 21:54:58 EDT 2006

Thanks to all who responded to my query a few weeks back, "Re: Strier,
disguised departures," on possible mystic mis-directions in PL. The
references are most helpful!

I would like to ask, quite apart from specific conundrums like "fit audience
though few" or "hope no higher," if any of you have wondered at moments
whether, for all its bright and symphonic and garrulous surface, Paradise
Lost doesn't seem to show glimmerings now and again of --how to call it?--
of brighter and richer (and quieter?) things? If so, are there particular
phrases or passages that come to mind?

Carl