[Milton-L] Milton on the Sacred and the Profane?

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 13:14:34 EDT 2006

Jeffery, if I read your query right [forgive me if not] you are reading the
Leviticus as presenting a parallel equation, A-B/A-B, rather than a chiastic
equation. So that

>" between the holy and the common and between the impure
> and the pure."

is parsed as matching "holy" with "impure" and "common" with "pure." But I
suspect here an inverted equation --chiasm, hysteron/proteron-- A-B/B-A,
which would match "holy" with "pure" and "common" with "impure."

Deut 32:16
They stirred him to jealousy with strange gods,/
with abominable practices they provoked him to anger

PL 4
323: ADAM the goodliest man of men since borne
324: His Sons, the fairest of her Daughters EVE.

Best,

Carl

PS: Speaking of the pure and impure, and if you will pardon a bland
reminiscence, I used to think the NT caution about casting pearls to swine a
puzzling formulation  --sure, a pig will trample pearls underfoot, but will
a pig then "turn and rend" you?-- The solution which one Sunday-school
teacher provided me for Mt. 7:6 was that, yes indeed, a pig is a vicious
thing --if a kid falls into a pig pen he's in serious trouble and may never
come out. But dear Mr. Williams was stuck with the RSV and wasn't reading,
it turns out, the hysteron-proteron of the Greek. This is just the frequent
OT and NT structure of chiasmus; so, yes indeed, :-) it's the Rottweilers
and pit bulls a kid has to watch out for:

Mt. 7:6  "Do not give what is holy to dogs... lest... they turn and tear you
to pieces".

On holy-to-dogs/pearls-to-swine see John Breck, "The Shape of Biblical
Language." 29.  Breck's rather loosely argued book is primarily about
chiasmus in the NT, but it begins with examples in Hebrew texts and also
claims [citing, among others, A. Stock "Chiastic Awareness and Aducation in
Antiquity," Biblical Theology Bulletin 14:1 (1984),23-27] it was normative
in Greek and Latin education to practice reading chiastically, "from the
center outward, and from the extremities towards the center."