[Milton-L] Milton on the Sacred and the Profane?

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Tue Aug 22 08:25:32 EDT 2006

Er, Jeffery, I don't think Milton thinks in these dualistic (or postmodern?)
terms. He's a monist.  It would be like saying that purity can make impurity
impure, or that health could infect sickness.

I don't know what I've done with my nifty copy of Bauman's  A Scripture Index to
John Milton's De Doctrina Christiana (MRTS, 1989), but that would be a good
place to look for a Leviticus gloss.  (And yes, I join a large body of
Miltonists who are sure that Milton wrote the DDC.)

In the meantime, with just some flipping around, I did find this in DDC 1.7 ("On
the Creation"), which at least indicates the monism:  "Man having been created
after this manner, it is said, as a consequence, that 'man became a living
soul'; whence it may be inferred (unless we had rather take the heathen writers
for our teachers respecting the nature of the soul) that man is a living being,
intrinsically and properly one and individual, not compound or separable, not,
according to the common opinion, made up and framed of two distinct and
different natures, as of soul and body, but that hte whole man is soul, and the
soul man, that is to say, a body, or substance individual, animated, sensitive,
and rational; and that the breath of life was neither a part of the divine
essence, nor the soul itself, but as it were an inspiration of some divine
virtue fitted for the exercise of life and reason, and infused into the organic
body; for man himself, the whole man, when finally created, is called in
express terms 'a living soul.'  Hence the word used in Genesis to signify
'soul,' is interpreted by the apostle, I Cor. 15.45. 'animal.'  Again, all the
attributes of the body are assigned in common to the soul:  the touch, Lev.
5.2, &c 'if a soul touch any unclean thing."  So Columbia 15.39 and 41; the
Yale is 6.317-18.

I imagine that if Milton uses the term "contaminate," he might favor the passive
participle rather than the active verb, but it would take concordances to know
for sure.

Cheers,

Jameela