[Milton-L] Milton on the Sacred and the Profane?

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 01:06:19 EDT 2006

Has much been written on Milton's concept of what is
usually called "the sacred and the profane"?

I'm curious as to how Milton understands Leviticus
10:10, which requires that the Israelites "distinguish
between the holy and the common and between the impure
and the pure."

Does Milton anywhere discuss this verse or present the
holy and the impure as 'contagious' dynamic forces?

Does he understand the "common" (the profane) as
intrinsically pure but capable of being 'contaminated'
by the holy or the impure?

Does he distinguish between the two conceptions of the
holy? On the one hand as a divine dynamic force but on
the other hand as a purified object set apart in
dedication to God?

I've been looking but so far haven't found much
written on this topic. I imagine Jason Rosenblatt or
Jeffrey Shoulson might have written something...

Jeffery Hodges

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley