[Milton-L] Nature of evil cont...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 12 21:17:51 EDT 2006

Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

> Carol Barton wrote:
>
> "Milton deviates from the Dantean concept of evil (the
> cloven-hoofed, horned red anthropomorph with the
> pointy tail and the pitchfork..."
>
> I don't want to lead us off topic, but where did
> Dante's image of Satan come from?

This is an awful distortion of Dante to equate his "vision of evil" (if
he had any such thing) with his marginal epic machinery. You have to
start out not with his Satan but with the multiple circles and
sub-circles of his underworld and the huge cast of characters inhabiting
those circles.

What did Milton consider the nature of Good might be a more useful
topic. Though I would myself take a nominalist position here and deny
that Evil and Good existed, only various desirable and undesirable
social relations.

Carrol