[Milton-L] the Son's role and necessity

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 10 16:40:50 EDT 2006

Patricia Stewart wrote:

> Perhaps insight into this problem will come by considering the well known
> medieval allegory of the debate by the four Daughters of God.  They are
> Peace, Mercy, Justice, and Righteousness, all attributes of God.

But we are dealing with a literary character, The Father, in Paradise
Lost. How can medieval allegory help on that problem?

And if we go 'outside' the poem to deal with one or another account of
an alleged supernatural being, the God of the Religions of the Book,
then we have (for some of us) a political and ethical issue: that is, we
feel that belief in an omnipotent deity is, at least potentially,
politically and ethically corrupting.

Going back to the poem, some Milton critics argue persuasively that
Milton felt the same, and embodied that feeling in his portrait of The
Father.

Carrol

P.S. Query: Someplace in _Milton and the English Revolution_ C. Hill
quotes one of Milton's contemporaries as saying that he had ceased to
believe in immortality, and found that 'loss' "profoundly comforting,"
or something like that. I can't remember the name nor the passage in
Hill. Can anyone help on this.