[Milton-L] Divine Foreknowledge and Human Freedom

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Thu Aug 3 13:19:58 EDT 2006

>8. knowledge of theology, especially Reformation sectarian
infighting
>9. ability to comprehend the centrality of religion to
seventeenth century
>life
>10. ability to comprehend the urgency of Milton's need for a
personal
>epistemology, in a world in which all of the
received "truths" had collapsed
>like the proverbial house of cards--

The concept of theology - that Christianity is not just 'the
Bible,' that there is a development of doctrine etc. This
comes up in the Bible as lit class too - they want to read
back into Hebrew Scripture all the philosophical 'omnis' that
later theology applies.  The importance of religious in 17th
c life they tend to read from their own experience - Was JM a
fundie? They sometimes ask.

>not to mention:
>11. an understanding of the difference between end-stopped
and enjambed
>verse lines
>12. comprehension of the purpose of complex punctuation
>13. ability to comprehend complex periods
>14. interest in the subject matter
>15. attention span (in the face of the absence of car
chases, explicit
>steamy sex, filthy language, and gory battles)
>
>In all fairness, re-reading many of the things I only half-
understood as an
>undergraduate

Well yes - and I'd had a supurb public high school and jr.
high school experience - 4 years Latin, 2 years French,
Honors  English [NOT aimed at scoring on AP test, but
genuinely enriched] and teachers - many of them women who in
our day would have gone on for PhDs or into law or medicine.
I can't put these kids in a time machine and send them back
to study Cicero with Mr. Chirstleib, and Virgil with Miss
Campbell...

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant