[Milton-L] Divine Foreknowledge and Human Freedom

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Aug 2 16:56:03 EDT 2006

>An analogy whose details I do not recall has been
>previously been made on the Milton List to illustrate
>divine foreknowledge and human freedom. In this sort
>of analogy, a person from an elevated position, say a
>hill, sees that two free agents driving automobiles,
>for example, are traveling from opposite directions
>around a blind curve and are certain to collide.
>
>Such a person foresees but bears no responsibility for
>the collision.

An analogy I've used - and it is far from perfect - is that
God is like someone video-taping the last few seconds of the
famous Duke/Ky men's basketball regional final, which records
for posterity the improbable winning shot. To the chagrin of
KY fans, every subsequent showing will be the same [unless
someone fiddles the tape - but that will not change the
outcome of the game].

I ask students to imagine a video camera that is not
constrained by time. From God's POV, the winning shot
is/was/will be - but it is still the result of agency by the
participants.

I know there are flaws in this analogy, but have yet to find
one that works completely.  I suppose this one does not have
the complication of foreknowledge and connection with evil
[unless you are a KY fan].

Apologies if this is too light weight for this fascinating
discussion that I have followed with interest - blame it on
the heat!
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant