[Milton-L] Bentley's rewrite

Angelica Duran aduran at cla.purdue.edu
Wed Aug 2 15:03:18 EDT 2006

Dear Jeffrey,

That's what we are here for.  Here is is, per page 399 of the EEBO version
(Milton, John. _Milton¹s Paradise lost. A new edition, by Richard Bentley_,
D.D. London, 1732. 437pp.):

645  Some natural tears they drop'd, but wip'd them soon:
     The World was All before them, where to choose
     Their place of Rest; and Providence their guide :
  *  They hand in hand with wand'ring steps and slow,
649  Through Eden took their solitary way.

  * THEN hand in hand with SOCIAL steps their way
    Through Eden took, WITH HEAV'NLY COMFORT CHEER'D.

All the caps and spellings are correct. Tell me if you need to know where
italics are (variously in lines 648-9, both versions).

Adios,

Angelica Duran
(765) 496-3957
<duran0 at cla.purdue.edu>