[Milton-L] Calling

Diane McColley dmccolley at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 2 10:57:57 EDT 2006

Calling and testing are not the same thing.  My idea of it at least is
that response to a calling, the engagement of one's being in something
worth doing (whether the voice that calls is divine or human, social or
inward) is creative, fruitful, joyful, loving, healing, even when
painful.  Adam and Eve are called to take care of the garden and
refrain from the fruit of one tree: the latter I agree is a test, and
one they could have learned from without falling.  (Some will say they
had to fail it because God foresaw that they would, but divine
foresight is not cause, as William Kolbrener has just explained.)
Raphael is called to educate them and becomes a maker in several of
Sidney's senses.   Adam sees man as called to "live with all the
creatures and their seed preserve."   Our failures in that calling are
sad and potentially catastrophic.   What I am worried about in this
discussion is not the combative assertions but a kind of ratcheting
down of the language (e.g. calling to testing) and a level of
abstraction that disregards the poetry of the poem.