[Milton-L] Strier, the Son's role and necessity

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 1 13:07:04 EDT 2006

Diane McColley wrote:

> Part of Richard Strier's reply on August 1 to Michael Gillum's question
> was "So, however one reads the business between the Father and the Son
> later in III, it is simply not true in the poem as we have it that the
> Son's intervention is responsible for human salvation.  Maybe the
> Father is testing the Son and the non-fallen angels for some reason,
> but that is a different matter."
>
> I confess I still don't get it.  The Son's calling and response to the
> foreseen work of redemption seem to me part of the process of calling
> and response (or failure to respond) throughout the poem.

Yes. That is what Richard Strier said. The Son's response (maybe) is
part of the testing that goes on throughout the poem, but it is not
relevant (as a cause) to the Father's decision to extend mercy.

Carrol

P.S. My own view is that that calling and response -- that testing, that
compulsion to choose freely the poem imposes on characters and the
reader -- is indeed the center of the poem, but it is a political and
social theme, merely 'carried' by the theology.