[Milton-L] Strier, the Son's role and necessity

Diane McColley dmccolley at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 1 10:59:05 EDT 2006

Part of Richard Strier's reply on August 1 to Michael Gillum's question
was "So, however one reads the business between the Father and the Son
later in III, it is simply not true in the poem as we have it that the
Son's intervention is responsible for human salvation.  Maybe the
Father is testing the Son and the non-fallen angels for some reason,
but that is a different matter."

I confess I still don't get it.  The Son's calling and response to the
foreseen work of redemption seem to me part of the process of calling
and response (or failure to respond) throughout the poem.