[Milton-L] Strier, the Son's role and necessity

Michael Bryson michael.bryson at csun.edu
Tue Aug 1 08:58:11 EDT 2006

Just a brief response, as I absolutely must keep working on another project...

I would not argue that it is the Son who "introduces" the idea of mercy, but that it *is* the Son who strongly reinforces and advocates for that idea once introduced by the Father. I argue this point in The Tyranny of Heaven, pp.123-24 and pp. 140-47.

Signing off again,

Michael Bryson

"Prof. Strier, I hope you won't "stop," but am not clear on the context. When you first made this point, I could not locate the antagonist in my recollection of the thread. I thought perhaps you referred to the argument made by Michael Bryson in his publications, but not I think here, that the Son rescues the Father from his angry obsession with punishment and introduces mercy into the scheme.  I agree that it's important to notice that the Father decrees mercy for Man at the end of his first speech. I suppose the Father is foreseeing that the Son will volunteer in order to fulfill the Father's will. If you would briefly restate the "problem" and the point you are arguing against, I would appreciate it.

Michael Gillum"