[Milton-L] Strier, the Son's role and necessity

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Aug 1 10:54:41 EDT 2006

Richard Strier wrote, "Since no one seems to see the problem posed by
the Father's announcement of human salvation before the Son makes his
offer, I will stop trying to make the point.  But someone should
consider what effect this has on the role of the Son."

Prof. Strier, I hope you won't "stop," but am not clear on the
context. When you first made this point, I could not locate the
antagonist in my recollection of the thread. I thought perhaps you
referred to the argument made by Michael Bryson in his publications,
but not I think here, that the Son rescues the Father from his angry
obsession with punishment and introduces mercy into the scheme.  I
agree that it's important to notice that the Father decrees mercy for
Man at the end of his first speech. I suppose the Father is
foreseeing that the Son will volunteer in order to fulfill the
Father's will. If you would briefly restate the "problem" and the
point you are arguing against, I would appreciate it.

Michael Gillum