[Milton-L] response

Tom Bishop tgb2 at case.edu
Tue Aug 1 19:05:03 EDT 2006

James Fleming and I are clearly speaking different languages, and I
am as unwilling to attempt to translate mine into his as he seems to
be to understand mine. I believe my claims are fairly readily
comprehensible, and that they would have been so to both Milton and
Blake, both of whom certainly understood and wrote about what I
called "poetic vigour". I'm not sure they would have understood Prof.
Fleming's claims, relying as they do on philosophies of meaning and
intention that postdate both. As these philosophies have been largely
reluctant to address poetry, it's not clear to me that they have ever
really grappled with the kind of activity that poetic production
seems to be. It is certainly the case that to define "intention" as
"an instance of mental directedness" is to formulate it quite
differently from the ordinary meaning of the term. "Directedness"
here seems to me at least as uncertain a term as "vigour". Is
"inspiration", a term Milton certainly (thought he) understood, an
instance of "mental directedness"? Nor is it at all clear to me that
what I called "the poetic imagination" is "a mental state of being
about things", a phrase I find quite vague (what is a "thing" in this
context? what does it mean to "be about" something? and so on.). So
it may be, indeed, that between our views of Milton there really is
nothing to talk about, since Prof. Fleming seems to dismiss as "just
feelings" what seems to me quite central to an evaluation of what
poetry is and does. In any case, there has probably been enough
throwing about of brains on this subject.

Tom Bishop